Newcastle United’s attempts to sign the in-demand Sevilla centre-back Diego Carlos have hit the roadblock as the Spaniards intend to squeeze every penny out of the Premier League spenders.
Despite already landing the likes of Chris Wood and Kieran Trippier in the January transfer window, the Premier League strugglers have shown no signs of stopping.
Several high-profile names have been on Newcastle’s radar over the past few weeks, but they seem to have finally settled for the highly-rated Sevilla star.
But per Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano, the La Liga giants have deemed the Magpies’ €35m bid for their prized possession insufficient.
However, negotiations are said to be ongoing as the wealthy new owners are keen on revamping Eddie Howe’s defensive options following an embarrassing first half of the season.
Much of Newcastle’s Premier League struggle has emanated from their fragile backline that has conceded a league second-high 43 goals from 20 league matches so far.
Hence, they are on the lookout for defensive reinforcements, having already tabled a substantial €35m bid for Carlos.
Additionally, the Tynesiders already have an agreement in place with the player’s representatives, with the 28-year-old giving his go-ahead for the move.
But convincing Sevilla to sanction the deal remains a tricky part.
The Brazilian defender has two more years remaining on his current contract at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, putting the Andalusians in a strong bargaining position.
They have already shown their negotiating stubbornness, having played hardball on Chelsea and Manchester City over Jules Kounde’s switch to the Premier League in the summer.
So Newcastle have no other option but to improve their bid or turn their attention elsewhere.
Considering Carlos’ undoubted desire to secure a big-money move to St James’ Park this month, the Magpies could rely on the player to force Sevilla into softening their stance.
Latest Newcastle United News
- Newcastle United vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Newcastle United vs Crystal Palace Preview & Latest Transfer Updates
- Newcastle United April 2022 Preview: Magpies could play spoiler for Tottenham and Liverpool ambitions
- Chelsea vs Newcastle – prediction, team news, lineups
- Eddi Howe Full of Praise for Newcastle United and Kieran Trippier Following Brentford Win
- Robbie Fowler hails Newcastle United’s January signings
- Newcastle United set to sign Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon
- Sevilla Bullying Newcastle United Over Diego Carlos’ Price Tag
- Newcastle United on the cusp of landing Chris Wood
- Newcastle United readying three more defensive signings in January