Newcastle United have made a huge progress this season under Eddie Howe. After finishing 11th last year, many expected a seventh or eighth place as their target this term. However, an excellent campaign in the English top-flight means they are now on the cusp of securing Champions League football for the first time in 20 years.
Since the 2-0 reverse at Manchester City in March, the Magpies have registered a remarkable eight wins from their nine previous league matches. Their outstanding form suggests a third place finish ahead of Manchester United is also likely for the Tyneside club.
United haven’t been very convincing in recent weeks and they could drop points in their final six matches, allowing Newcastle to pip them for third. But Eddie Howe’s men will likely have to succeed in their remaining matches to make that happen.
Let’s look at their remaining fixtures and then we will likely have a better idea about their chances.
Newcastle vs Arsenal (May 7, 2023)
Newcastle face their biggest test this weekend as they welcome Arsenal to St James’ Park in a blockbuster clash. The Gunners are still in contention for the Premier League title but they have lost their earlier momentum.
Both are two of the best teams this season and we are backing for a high scoring draw.
Leeds United vs Newcastle (May 13, 2023)
Survival specialist Sam Allardyce is now at the helm of affairs at Leeds following the dismissal of Javi Gracia. But can the new manager boost be enough for them to beat the Magpies? We think not.
Newcastle vs Brighton (May 18, 2023)
Brighton & Hove Albion destroyed Wolverhampton Wanderers 6-0 in their most recent fixture at the Amex. But that success came on the back of a disappointing 3-1 loss at Nottingham Forest. The Seagulls’ inconsistency suggests Newcastle will be favourites to pick up maximum points at St James’ Park on May 18.
Newcastle vs Leicester City (May 22, 2023)
Leicester are desperately fighting to stay in the Premier League, and we could expect them to provide a tough contest against Newcastle. But their poor defensive record doesn’t offer them much hope to pick up a good result away from home.
Chelsea vs Newcastle (May 28, 2023)
Chelsea have completely hit rock bottom under Frank Lampard, losing all their six matches in all competitions. Confidence in the Blues’ camp is expected to be very low, and so we are backing Newcastle to emerge victorious at Stamford Bridge.
Newcastle are likely to register maximum points from their final five matches. Momentum is currently on their side, with the Tyneside outfit winning all their previous three matches by big margins.
Unless United maintain a perfect win record in their remaining fixtures, the Magpies will likely end their 2022-23 season by sealing an excellent third-place finish.
Latest Newcastle United News
- Newcastle in February: Magpies to pick up maximum points from relatively easier fixtures
- Preview: Sunderland vs Newcastle United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Fulham – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- How Newcastle United will fare in the 2023-24 Champions League
- Newcastle complete loan signing of Lewis Hall from Chelsea
- Newcastle in July: Five pre-season friendlies as Eddie Howe aims for another great season
- Newcastle set to open talks with Callum Wilson over new deal
- Newcastle in May: Magpies have five games to finish ahead of Man Utd
- Preview: Everton vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups