Newcastle United defied expectations last season as they clinched a top-four finish in the Premier League table.
The Magpies are now set to play in the Champions League, the most prestigious club competition in Europe. How are they likely to fare in the tournament this term?
Eddie Howe’s side will be aiming to make it to the knockouts at least, but the task looks very challenging considering the group they have landed.
Paris Saint-Germain, Borussia Dortmund and AC Milan are the three opponents the Tyneside club will face in Group F.
All three sides boast world-class players and are among the best in their respective leagues.
But Newcastle are not deficient either, with the club having brought in some quality reinforcements in the summer transfer window.
Newcomer Sandro Tonali is a special talent, while Harvey Barnes, Tino Livramento and Yankuba Minteh also represent smart acquisitions.
The Magpies’ start to the new campaign has been far from ideal as they have lost three of their four matches to drop down to 14th in the standings.
But there is no doubt their squad has great potential and they are expected to start picking up results soon.
Eddie Howe will take his team to Italy later this month as they go head-to-head with Milan at San Siro, with the fixture available to watch via Champions League live streams.
The Rossoneri have won all three Serie A matches and are likely to be very difficult opponents for the Premier League outfit.
The situation will be quite similar for Newcastle when they travel to PSG and Dortmund over the next months.
However, the English club will be hoping to secure full points from the fixtures at St. James Park, and if they are lucky, that could be sufficient to see their progress to the knockout stages.
Latest Newcastle United News
- Newcastle in February: Magpies to pick up maximum points from relatively easier fixtures
- Preview: Sunderland vs Newcastle United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Fulham – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- How Newcastle United will fare in the 2023-24 Champions League
- Newcastle complete loan signing of Lewis Hall from Chelsea
- Newcastle in July: Five pre-season friendlies as Eddie Howe aims for another great season
- Newcastle set to open talks with Callum Wilson over new deal
- Newcastle in May: Magpies have five games to finish ahead of Man Utd
- Preview: Everton vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups